Pilchowice Dam - second tallest dam in Poland
Location show on map
Pilchowice near Jelenia Góra, Bóbr River, Dolnośląskie, Poland
Date of build
1921 - date of opening
The Pilchowice Dam is the second highest (after Solina) and the second dam in Poland. In addition, it is the highest stone and arch barrier in our country.
The length of the crown is 270 meters.
The first dams in Poland were built by Germany at a time when part of our country was under their annexation. That is why the oldest Polish dams are located in the west of the country, and more precisely in the Lower Silesian Voivodship. There is, among others, the Forest Dam (the oldest in Poland) and the extremely high Pilchowice Dam.
At the beginning of our century, after a series of floods ravaging Lower Silesia, three artificial lakes - Modre, Wrzeszczyńskie and Pilchowickie - were created on the 17-kilometer section of the Bóbr River. The largest of the Bóbr cascades is the lowest situated Pilchowickie Lake. All three barriers were designed and made by Germany.
The Pilchowice Dam was built of stones joined with concrete. Today, this construction technique has been forgotten, but at the beginning of the 20th century, almost all dams had such a construction.
Water from the reservoir feeds the turbines of the power plant, located in a house that looks like a family house at the bottom of the dam.
As at that time, the Pilchowice Power Plant producing more than 8 MW of electricity was a miracle of technology. The relief channel as with most arch constructions is located on the side of the crown. Unlike other dams, the canal was built in the shape of stairs. Such a solution slows down water that would otherwise wash away the building of the power plant, located in such an unusual place. Therefore, the stepped bleed channel is rare.