Reichstag in Berlin (Germany) - the headquater of the German Parliament
Location show on map
Platz der Republik 1 11011 Berlin, Germany
Date of build
1884 - 1894
1961 - 1964, 1994 - 1999 - reconstruction
The Reichstag is the seat of the German parliament erected in 1894. In 1918, the German Republic was proclaimed from his balcony.
The building was partially destroyed during a fire that broke out on February 27, 1933 (four weeks after Hitler came to power), for which a group of communists was accused. Even more destruction occurred during World War II, when enemies considered the building as one of the key objects.
For many years, the building has been forgotten and wondered whether it will be rebuilt or destroyed at all. In the years 1961-1973 the entire reconstruction of the Reichstag was entrusted to the architect Paul Baumgarten, who won the competition for the design and implementation of the reconstruction of the building.
After reunification of Germany, in 1994 a decision was made to modernize the building, this time the project was entrusted to the British architect Sir Norman Foster.
Only the facade with the inscription "Dem Deutschen Volke" ("the German nation") remained from the former Reichstag. At the top there is a steel and glass dome.
The diameter of the dome is 40 meters, it is 23 meters high and contains about 800 tons of steel. Inside the dome there is a "light sculptor", ie a beveled inverted cone with a diameter of 2.5 meters at the bottom of the base and 16 meters at the top of the base, covered with 360 properly arranged mirrors. The steel structure of the dome is crowned with the "eye" of the skylight.
The six-storey edifice on its lowest floor houses the main official rooms, on the second floor there are the offices of the president and the Council of Ministers, on the third floor there are m.in. meeting rooms. The audience can observe the Hall of Deputies from above on these floors from the terrace located there.
You can get to the roof by lift or over 230 meters long pavements, from which through the glass walls you can see the meeting room.
Many modern and ecological solutions have been used in the Reichstag gamma. The inverted cone is part of the natural ventilation system of the Chamber of Deputies. Solar panels with an area of 300 m2 accumulate solar energy, which is then used in the heating system. Carbon dioxide hardly escapes from the building into the atmosphere, while the heating system up to 300 meters underground uses groundwater.
Parliament of the Second German Reich held its meeting until 1918. In 1919-1933 meetings of the Parliament of the Weimar Republic took place here. Since 1994, the building has been the venue for the National Assembly, which is held every five years to elect a president. In 1999, the building became the seat of the German parliament - Bundestag.
Admission to the building is free, the dome is visited daily by approximately 8,000 tourists who, in addition to a glazed view of the meeting room, have a restaurant on the top floor.
Official website: http://www.bundestag.de
"Here we are faced with the mutilation of the building, whose symbolism from the free time is of minor importance to today's Germans. The simplest solution would be to demolish the Reichstag and erect a modern facility in its place that would replace the old substance. But the more we got to know this building, the more we realized that history is still in its interior and we can not just remove it." - Sir Norman Foster