Jasna Góra Monastery (Częstochowa, Poland) - shrine to the Virgin Mary
Location show on map
Date of build
Jasna Góra - it is a monastery o. Paulinów in Częstochowa. Located on a hill (293 m.n.p.m.), it belongs to the group of the holiest places in the world.
It was founded in 1382 by prince Władysław Opolczyk, who two years later gave the monastery the image of the "Black Madonna". Since then, numerous pilgrimages have been coming to Jasna Góra for the purpose of prayer.
In the building of the monastery there are: Chapel of the Virgin Mary - consists of three parts. The oldest is built in the Gothic style, in which today there is a presbytery with an ebony altar (1650) and hanging in the middle of it the most sacred painting, three-nave created in 1641-44 and the former przedsiąka - Renaissance from the mid-sixteenth century. The chapel has various trinkets donated by wonderfully healed people, in thanks for healing.
Basilica of Saint. Krzyża - it is the original stone church from the 15th century in the Gothic style. It was partly extended with main naves and side naves and chapels. After a fire in 1690, the whole was rebuilt in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in the form of a three-nave basilica (baroque style). The highest vaulted barrel top reaches 29 m, and the side naves are vaulted.
The main altar, founded in 1728 by hetman S. Chomentowski and presents the Assumption of the Mother of God. The whole altar is a sculptural composition of Jakub and Antoni Buzzini, made by Jan Adam Kariger, a builder from Wroclaw.
There are some of the largest organs in Poland on the choir. They were built from 1913 to 1956.
The monastery team includes: Tower (106 meters above sea level), Arsenal (1660-1680), Knight's Hall (1674), Skarbiec (1674 .). There are still picturesque ramparts and bastions that formerly defended the monastery, and now serve as a walkway and the Way of the Cross.
Official website: http://jasnagora.com