Pisa Cathedral (Italy) - in complex with Leaning Tower
Location show on map
Date of build
Years 1063 - 1350
In the 11th century Pisa was a melting pot of cultures and arts, influences from Lombardy, Byzantine, Arab and Norman. They gave birth to pagan Romanism, an original, one of its kind style, whose creator was the famous architect Buscheto. This style in the cathedral of Pisa reached its apogee.
A marvelous marble building, a five-nave basilica with a three-nave transept (transverse nave) and apses (semicircular or polygonal room) at the closure of the presbytery and transept arms, delights above all with its magnificent interior color. Alternating light and dark marble emphasizes the perfection of divisions, and colorful decorations rhythm and enliven the interior, introducing symmetry into it.
The row of high columns of the nave interrupt only four pillars, raising the dome drum. The impression of refinement is intensified by open galleries with an alternate arrangement of columns and pillars and double windows resembling Byzantium.
In addition to the cathedral itself, the church complex includes: the famous Leaning Tower and La Torre Pendente.
Official website: http://www.opapisa.it