Parthenon in Athens (Greece) - ancient temple on Acropol
Location show on map
Acropol, Athens, Greece
Date of build
477 BC - 438 BC
The temple in honor of Athena Partenos, the virgin patron of Athens, is considered an excellent example of classical architecture, a masterpiece of sculptural art.
The length of the building is 69.5 m, and the width 30.9 m. Peristyle or external colonnade, surrounded the internal building called cella, housing the building in which he found a giant goddess statue made of gold and ivory. Peristyle consisted of 46 columns, of which 8 were visible from the front of the temple, and 17 on the sides. The columns were marble, similar to the pediments and entablatures supported on them. The roof of the temple was wooden. The style of the building was a development of the style of simple wooden constructions.
The eastern room was 29.8 m long and 19.2 m wide, the Doric columns are 1.9 m in diameter and 10.4 m in height.
Parthenon was not only a temple, it also served as an art gallery, it was a perfect setting for rich sculptures. He also served as an Orthodox church, a Roman Catholic church and a mosque.
In the 6th century, the Parthenon was transformed into a Christian church, from 1204 it served as a Latin church until 1458 when it was turned into a mosque by Turkish conquerors .
Official website: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/eh251.jsp?obj_id=912
"The most perfect monument of ancient art, which even as a ruin impresses and moves." - Beadeker