Kyiv Pechersk Lavra
Kiev, Ukraine

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra (Ukraine) - the first and oldest monastery in the country

Where is located Kyiv Pechersk Lavra?

Address of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is 15 Lavrska Street, Kyiv, Ukraine
show on map

When was built Kyiv Pechersk Lavra?

Built date of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is 1051

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra

Facts, informations and history of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra

Pechersk Lavra named after the Dormition of the Holy Virgin Mary is the first and the oldest monastery in Ukraine.

Nowadays only three monasteries have the status of "lavra" and all of them are dedicated to the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God. Lavra is the name of special honor for the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God. It is used for the unique male monasteries in the Orthodox Church and in the Eastern Catholic Churches.

Located in the center of Kyiv, the monastery was founded in the middle of the 11th century by the Venerable Anthony and Theodosius of the (Pechersk) Grotto. The church was built over 15 years by Greek architects and painters. It was consecrated in 1089 by Metropolitan John.

Today, the indestructible relics of more than 120 saints, including Venerable Nestor the Chronicler, Venerable Ilya of Murom and Venerable Agapit of the Caves, rest in peace in the caves of the monastery. For over a thousand years, countless miracles and healings have resulted from prayers offered to all the venerable fathers of the Kiev caves.

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra allocated considerable resources for the development of education, it even had its own elementary school and seminary.

The Lavra complex consists of more than a hundred buildings, including numerous Orthodox churches. It is currently divided into the lower lavra and the upper lavra.

The upper lavra contains the Cathedral Cathedral Cathedral, the bulwarks, a museum and numerous Orthodox churches. It is under the care of the Ministry of Culture and forms a National Historical and Cultural Reserve. The Great Bell Tower, the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Museum of Historical Treasures and the Museum of Miniatures are located here.

The lower one contains the Near Caverns, the Far Caverns, containing, among other things, an active monastery, numerous passages, caves and dungeons that were once the place where monks lived. To this day, over 100 of them are kept here in a mummified state.

The buildings located here were built in the Cossack Baroque style (also called Ukrainian Baroque). This style is characterized by a large number of turrets, ornate gables and decorations, and numerous frescoes on the exterior walls, usually depicting figures from the history of the country and the Church.

It is here that the residence of the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and the synodal departments are located.

The present stone Church of the Holy Cross was built on the site of a wooden one and is the oldest of the above-ground buildings of the complex, and its architectural composition is characteristic of Ukrainian wooden churches of the 17th century.

The bell tower of the Great Lavra is the pride of the architectural ensemble of the Pechersk Lavra in Kyiv. It stands in the center of the Cathedral Square, and its golden head is clearly visible from afar from Zadneprz and the seven hills of Kyiv.

This four-octagonal tower is 96.5 meters high, richly decorated architecturally and artistically in Baroque style. Noteworthy are three bas-reliefs from the fifteenth century, embedded above the entrance to the first floor of the bell tower, depicting the Mother of God and the founders of Kyiv Pechersk Monastery. The belfry is topped with a golden lining in the shape of a helmet.

The lavra was partially destroyed by the Tatars in 1240, and underwent a series of revivals and catastrophic fires before being mostly rebuilt with predominantly Baroque influences in the 18th century. It was converted into a museum in 1926 and partially returned to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) in 1988.

The enlargement of the monastery took place in the second half of the 17th and 18th centuries, at that time the individual religious complexes were expanded.

As a result of the explosion of November 3, 1941, part of the cathedral was destroyed. The culprit is unknown, it is only known that the explosion occurred shortly after the visit of Slovak President Jozef Tiso to the complex.

On Sundays, up to ten Divine Liturgies are celebrated. On weekdays, services are held continuously in many churches. Six ancient underground churches are located in the Far and Near Caves of the Monastery.

The Pechersk Lavra and the Cathedral of Divine Wisdom (Sophia) were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1990, and since 1996 it has had the status of a national monument reserve.

As a result of a plebiscite, on August 21, 2007, the site was recognized as one of the seven wonders of Ukraine.

Architect of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra

Architect of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is Theodosius of Kyiv, Anthony of Kyiv

How many meters have Kyiv Pechersk Lavra?

Height of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is 96.5 meters

how many meters have Kyiv Pechersk LavraScale

Construction/building type

Building Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is of type Monastery

Architectural style

Architectural style of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is Ukrainian Baroque

Other dimensions, parameters and frequently asked questions

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra

What area have Kyiv Pechersk Lavra?

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra have area of 20 hectares

What material is the building made of?

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is made of the following materials: stone, brick

Practical informations

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra

What is the cost of entry for Kyiv Pechersk Lavra?

Tickets for Kyiv Pechersk Lavra are available at the following prices and variants:

  • Entrance to the grounds (without visiting the Bell Tower): 80 AUH.
  • Entrance to the bell tower of the Great Lavra: 60 AUH.

At what times is open Kyiv Pechersk Lavra?

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is open or accessible to the public on the following dates and times:

  • National Historic and Cultural Preserve: daily 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
  • The Bell Tower: daily 10:00 am to 7:00 pm.
  • Museum of Miniatures: every day except Tuesdays from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.

Other names

The building is also known by other common names or in the original language, i.e. (ukr. Києво-Печерська лавра)

Is the building on the UNESCO World Heritage List?

UNESCO
Yes, the building Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is inscribed on the UNESCO List under the reference 527ter.
The listing took place in the year 1990.
Details of the entry are available on the Unesco website at https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/527ter/

Official website

The official website of the building, where up-to-date information can be found, is https://lavra.ua/en/

Comments to Kyiv Pechersk Lavra (1) Average rating: 5 Add comment    /    Rate building

Your opinion
#0
Share your impressions... write something about the building...
5  /  5
Average rating

Based on 1 comment
Stop war
#1
Stop war
2 years ago
Beautiful building. I hope this fuck... russians won't destroy it! :(
Overall rating: detailed ratings

Location on map / How to get there

Redakcja Budowle.pl
Weather nearby
Today (30 May)
current weather in this location
19.6 ° C
13.8 ° (min)     23.1 ° (max)
8.8 mm
5.6 m/s
1010 hPa
Tomorrow (31 May)
Tomorrow weather in this location
20.8 ° C
12.9 ° (min)     22.2 ° (max)
6 mm
5.2 m/s
1013 hPa
Show forecast for 14 days Source: openweathermap.org
Our website uses cookies to provide you with services at the highest level and for statistical and advertising purposes. By using this site, you agree to the use of cookies, more details in our cookies policy. Close