Grand Central Terminal in New York (USA) - the largest railway station in the world
Location show on map
New York, New York, USA
Date of build
1913 - completion of construction
In 1869 the construction of the Grand Central Depot station began, in 1871 it was completed and the New York Central station was moved there, where Medison Square Garden was built. In 1913, the name of the station was changed from Grand Central Depot to Grand Central Terminal.
The constructors encountered two main problems: travelers' blocking of the station and smoke coming out of steam engines. Two floors of the station and the third floor with electrical equipment were built to solve these problems.
In 1968, the Penn Central corporation proposed the construction of a tower above the building. It was not a new idea, already during the construction of Grand Central, Reed and Stem proposed the construction of a 200-meter high tower. When the proposal was withdrawn by Penn Central, crowds of people insisted on leaving the station until Jacquelyn Kennedy stood in front of the building and appointed him a historic place.
From year to year Grand Central becomes a better station. Signals have been computerized, the station accepts trains from the entire Metro-North system. In 1990, a train simulator was built to train and certify engineers. A training room with computers was built in the old CBS studios.
On the facade in front of the building you can see the statues of Hercules, Minerva and Mercurego.
During the great renovation, the terminal was enriched with new stores and restaurants. The great ceiling has been restored to its original appearance, the marble has been repaired and cleaned.
The beauty of the station was noticed and in 2000 Metro-North carried 70 million passengers.
Official website: http://www.grandcentralterminal.com