Arc de Triomphe in Paris (France) - monument
Location show on map
Place Charles de Gaulle at Champs Élysées Boulevard and Avenue de la Grande Armée, France, Paris
Date of build
The construction of the monument was commissioned by Napoleon in 1806 to celebrate his military conquest, especially at Austerlitz. At the top, the names of the greatest victories are carved in the semi-circle. Smaller victories are described inside the arc, along with the names of 558 generals (including several Poles), the names of those who fell on the battlefield are underlined.
The Arc de Triomphe is modeled on the Arch of Constantine in Rome, but it is twice as tall, it is 50 m tall, 45 m wide and 16 deep.
At the top of the arch Napoleon's monument was to be found, but after his fall, the idea was abandoned. Now there is an observation deck, which can be reached by elevator or stairs.
On May 22, 1855, Wiktor Hugo's body was solemnly laid at the monument.
On February 2, 1916, on the day of the Battle of Verdun, the sword held by the figure representing France was eliminated. The sculpture was hidden from the inhabitants, so that they would not consider it a sign of future misfortune.
On November 11, 1920, an unknown French soldier was burnt at the monument, since then every November 11 (the Day of Suspension of the Arms) the president has made a wreath there.
The right side of the arch represents a sculpture known as "La Marseillaise". The left side of the arch represents Napoleon's triumph in 1810.
The Arc de Triomphe is an indicative mark in Paris because of its mass, beauty and the fact that 12 avenues cross each other where it stands.
When in 1730 the decision was made to build the monument, only 5 streets met in this place. The remaining 7 were added in the years 1853-1870.
The initial construction plans included building a huge elephant-shaped hotel with a theater. But because of the large number of elephant-shaped hotels around the world, this idea was abandoned.
Official website: http://www.arcdetriompheparis.com